Monday, March 30, 2009

Independent Project


For my independent project I am planning on utilizing responsive technology in the form of transparent LED screens on the facade and inner courtyards of my thesis project.  They will serve as signage for the businesses housed within my project as well as responsive elements that react to the street and sidewalk traffic.  I have been researching different kinds of technology and have settled on this one as a display device because of the transparency it allows for my building facade.  I expect to gain a greater understanding for the ways in which responsive technology can be utilized to bring a sense of localism to a city.  Specifically, I think that by allowing street and sidewalk traffic to effect an element of the facade of my building will cause my building to not only be located on a city block, but to become that city block.  People will become a direct influence on the aesthetics of the building, and thus take a greater pride in the building.

Check out this link for the kind of transparent LED technology I'm thinking of using:
      https://www.inventables.com/technologies/transparent-led-film


2 comments:

  1. The fact that you want to create a brewery that interacts with the street and its people, is very interesting. Are you trying to create a hotspot within the city or town that your brewery is in? You could use the LED light system as a marketing tool for your business. Your brewery isn't just a building but a place of action from in the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After discussing the thesis and knowing that you are trying to create city pride based on unique structures and bring more of an identity to the mass produced cities, the idea for the LED facade is very interesting. By creating a responsive environment, the structure will be completely unique to its surroundings, meaning that unless the exact same people pass it in the exact same fashion it will be one of a kind.
    I see that you mentioned the lights could be used as signage but what other types of information or reactions do you expect from the technology?

    ReplyDelete